Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Rambix Reader Challenges Mayor's Office On Crime

How many people can say they've had an execution-style murder in their own backyard while their wife and children were at home and close by?

Rambix reader McGruv (Derek) can, as I wrote about here in early May 2006.

McGruv has been an insightful contributor/commenter to this blog, and a voice of reason regarding the Minneapolis Quagmire and the impotent city leadership. He has recently provided me with a copy of an email exchange he had with one of Minneapolis Mayor Rybak's staff, which I reproduce here:

Rambix,

Below is an email exchange I had with one of Rybak's aides. I think it's funny how he doesn't have much to say after he already used up his canned response. This guy approached me on the mayor's behalf at a vigil for the dead guy in the yard and said I could contact him regarding my concerns. Careful what you ask for I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Patterson, Sherman
[mailto:Sherman.Patterson@ci.minneapolis.mn.us]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006
1:31 PM
To: Derek****
Subject: RE: Mpls. Crime continues

Derek,

Thanks for the response. I’m sorry about the mix up with your kids. Please feel free to contact me by phone or email at anytime. I will continue to address and work on the issues you have brought forward.

Respectfully
yours,


-----Original Message-----
From:
Derek****[mailto:Derek.****.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:08 PM
To: Patterson, Sherman
Cc: Rybak, R.T.; Smith, Tina F.; Dolan, Tim;
Samuels, Don H
Subject: RE: Mpls. Crime continues

My "frustration" with how the Mayor and City Council have handled the crime and gang problem in Minneapolis is not recent or just the result of the murder that happened in my yard last month. Crime has been steadily on the rise for at least the past 2 years. People are getting robbed and assaulted all over town. It is now evident that this city's leadership chose to ignore the problem until public pressure forced them to act. How is it that the Police were so understaffed in the first place? I know that funds have been cut, but doesn't the Mayor think that the Urban Renewal type projects should wait until after the Police are fully staffed and the city is safe?

Pardon my pessimism, but I find it hard to believe that the Safe City Initiative(SCI) is going to get significant results. What follow up will be done after the SCI to keep crime from spinning out of control in the future? What steps are being taken to stem the influx of criminals from other cities that set up shop in Minneapolis? If there's no room for repeat offenders in prison, are you working with the state to make room? I think that the Mayor's answers to these questions would be a better use of everyone's time than a personal visit to my house. And I know I'm not alone, the number of citizens who are victims or witness to this garbage increases everyday.

Thanks for responding to my email. Minneapolis is a great city...when it is safe. Please don't allow negligence to turn it into a place that only criminals want to live in. I sincerely hope that the Mayor and City Council have learned something from all this and that public safety never falls from top priority again.

p.s. For the record, I have a 4 yr old daughter and 18 month old son.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Patterson, Sherman [mailto:Sherman.Patterson@ci.minneapolis.mn.us]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 1:29 PM
To: Derek****
Cc: Rybak, R.T.;
Smith, Tina F.; Dolan, Tim
Subject: RE: Mpls. Crime continues

Hi
Derek,

It’s good to hear from you. Thanks for the message. Derek, I share your concerns about the crime in your area. Derek I would like to come by your home and talk with you and your family too. Please understand that the Mayor is very concerned about what’s happening with crime throughout the city. He is determined to put a lid on this recent escalation in crime too. We are working around the clock with MPD and other Agencies to make your quality of life better.

Derek, I remember you and your wife with your son, whom I believe is about 3 years old. We understand your frustration, but believe me things will get better. I would like to come next one day next week in the evening. I remembered that you’re not home until 6pm or a little afterwards. Derek hang in there, you guys are not alone. Please send me a date that you’re available. I will work around your schedule.

Sincerely,

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek****[mailto:Derek****.com]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 9:53 AM
To: Patterson, Sherman;
rt@minneapolis.org; Police
Cc: Samuels, Don H; Johnson, Barbara A; Sue
Jeffers for Governor
Subject: Mpls. Crime continues

Mr. Patterson,

I met you during the prayer vigil in my backyard on Thomas Ave N. for the guy who was murdered there. Just a quick question, people are still being robbed all over town in broad daylight in formally nice neighborhoods. The latest down in Bryn Mawr. We don't have time to wait for the mayor and the police to help us. Don't be surprised if people start taking the law into their own hands. If the mayor is such an incompetent hack that he can't make this plague of brazen criminal activity stop in the city, why doesn't he step down and let someone take charge who will not rest until this trend reverses course?

Derek ****
Derek makes some great points in his May 30th email to Mr. Sherman. The mayor or the mayor's proxy should answer Derek's questions; those that live, work, or play in Minneapolis have a right to know.

What say you, Mayor Rybak? Let's say you can't reasonably answer any and all questions that might come your way from concerned citizens; I would propose that you at least answer questions from all of those in your city who have had execution-style murders in their backyards. They've earned the right to a response.