Thursday, June 01, 2006

Torture In St. Paul?

KSTP Eyewitness News reports a story that I will take with a healthy dose of skepticism, however, do I believe there are people out there sick and deranged enough to do this? You bet!

Teen tortured at St. Paul home

A 13-year-old boy was held captive and tortured for seven hours at a home near Hatch Ave. and Rice St. in St. Paul Tuesday.

Nokey Anderson was returning home from school at around 5 p.m. when a man and another teen approached him and forced him into their home at gunpoint.

“I thought they were going to kill me,” Anderson said. “A guy had a TEC-9 facing at my face and he said, ‘Walk with me or I’ll shoot you.’”
We read so many stories about young children claiming they were abducted or lured by strangers which later turn out to be false. Sometimes the facts are so incredible that it raises red flags immediately.

This story is one of them. How would a 13 year old, for example, know that was a TEC-9 in his face?

Anderson says the men tied him up, stripped him to his underwear, beat him and pulled his hair out with pliers.

“They said they had a meat hook in the basement they were going to hang me on and torture me with a blow torch,” he says “And then he said he was going to shoot my arms, my knees and my feet.”

Anderson’s friend had seen him taken into the home but did not know the circumstance until he returned later and peered in a window.

"I looked in the window and Nokey was bleeding out of his mouth and crying, and I saw the guy punching him,” his friend said.

He then ran down the street and summonsed a police officer for help.

Several officers swarmed the home and arrested a 29-year-old man and a 13-year-old boy.
This angle in particular defies belief: "Anderson’s friend had seen him taken into the home but did not know the circumstance until he returned later and peered in a window." Give me a break. What person is going to watch his friend get dragged into a house, leave, then come back later to observe, then call police? I suspect the "torture" angle is a cover story for something else.

There were arrests, but I'm not entirely convinced this event went down as reported. Let's see what facts emerge over the next week or two.