Monday, November 21, 2005

Uptown violence explodes (again)

Legitimate news sources can't wait around for the Red Star to catch up to a significant story such as the new wave of Uptown violent robberies. This means that the Red Star is forcing their ever-dwindling number of subscribers to seek alternate sources of news for information on current events, particularly when it involves public safety. Yes, we know there isn't much ink left after feature articles celebrating homosexuality, liberal politics, and anything anti-Bush are printed, but not reporting on crimes that affect many of their liberal readers (as well as normal people) is inexcusable.

As of the time of this post, there is no story on the Red Star web site on the resumption of the Uptown robberies. The astute reader will recall that this blog started in April of 2005 specifically because of the springtime Uptown robberies. If you go back to the very first post, you'll find it's about Uptown robbers:

"Be on the lookout for "three young men""

Well, tonight on the Channel 9 news, the lead story was the Uptown robberies. And guess who the suspects are? Paraphrasing: A group of 20-25 Somali males, who are committing armed robberies around Minneapolis, and particularly Uptown. And who were the suspects back in April? See these archived posts:

Uptown thugs bagged; Red Star fined for malpractice

The Uptown crime wave and the PC trifecta

From the May 3rd, 2005 Pioneer Planet website:

"Minneapolis police have captured four teenagers they say could be responsible for 22 "bold and brazen" armed robberies last month that targeted late-night partiers leaving the trendy Uptown neighborhood's restaurants and bars. The teens were arrested early Sunday after police say they pulled a gun on a couple and demanded money. None of the teenagers had been charged as of Monday. The suspects — Abikani Mohammed Ahmed, 19; Abdulkadir Musse Jama, 18; Abdishakur Adan Hassan, 18, and a 16-year-old whose name police did not release — were being held in the Hennepin County Jail."
The suspects in April/May were Somali males, who, by the way, were inexplicably released. There has been no update or follow up that we're aware of.

Rambix is livid. How does the Red Star get away with this? Are they avoiding the story for PC reasons? Laziness? If they printed the story, would they print the suspect descriptions? Why are 20-25 Somali males committing violent crimes in Minneapolis with virtual impunity?

If anyone cares, please write the Red Star.


It turns out the above post understates the danger in light of a recently discovered post on the WCCO website: "Robberies Plague SE Minneapolis Precinct".

(WCCO) Minneapolis Nineteen robberies were reported in Minneapolis' 3rd Precinct between Nov. 8 and Nov. 15, and police said nearly half of those robberies involved deadly weapons.Most of the incidents occurred between 6 p.m. and 11 p.m., police said. Eight incidents involved firearms and one involved a knife. Police say some of the robberies involved more than one suspect. In three cases, suspects walked up and assaulted victims without warning.
Suspect information in this story seems to be variable:

While there have been arrests in connection with some of the robberies, officers are asking people in the neighborhood to take caution and be on the lookout for suspects.

Victims' descriptions of suspects vary from incident to incident, police said.

One suspect was described as a black male in his early 20s, standing between 5-feet-8 and 5-feet-10, weighing 140 to 160 pounds.

Another group of suspects was described as a group of seven to eight Native American males around 25 years old.

Police say three robberies were committed by a group of males wearing ski masks.

Another suspect was described as a black male with a light complexion and a thin face. The suspect is 15-19 years old and 5-foot-5 or 5-foot-6, police said.
This is serious business folks. Please contact the mayor, your councilmember, or the police with your concerns.