Friday, August 25, 2006

Tales From The Minneapolis Street

In which a firearm permit holder encounters violence on the Northside of Minneapolis(requires registration):

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:29 am Post subject: What would you do? Shots fired scenario.

I had a very scary incident last night. I was stopped at an intersection (26th and Penn in N. Minneapolis). There was a group of about 9 people sitting out on the front porch. A car slowly drove by and was about to cross my path (I still had the red light). One of the guys sitting on the porch stood up and fired about 7 rounds at the car driving by AS HE WAS CROSSING MY PATH. I was in the crossfire, actually heard the bullets hit the sidewalk next to my car. The driver of the car fired back 2 or three rounds. I had my loaded Taurus next to me on the passenger seat. I put my head down and took a right to get out of the crossfire, then after driving two blocks, I called 911 and gave as good of description of both shooters as I could.

Technically, my life was in danger, and legally, I could've returned fire. I did have an escape route, but I didn't know if the crossfire would've hit my car or me in the escape route.

Needless to say, I was pretty shook up.

I'd be interested to see what some of you more experienced CCW holders would've done. I've only had mine since January of this year.
Business as usual on the Northside? I'd like to think not, but when you hear enough of these stories it's hard not to think so.

I believe this permitholder did the right thing by making tracks to safety, then calling 911. Technically, he may have been justified in returning fire, but does anyone doubt that he'd spend a fair amount of time in court if he did, particularly if someone was hit by his return fire? You've seen what the police have to answer to on the Northside when they're forced to discharge their weapons in the line of duty; how do you think a civilian would be treated?

Even if the county attorney declined to charge, the thug's family would be on the phone to their free legal services lawyer to file a civil suit before the shell casing hit the ground. Is it worth the trouble?