Monday, November 28, 2005

Pioneer Press goes Red Star-like; how low can you go?

Rambix can't imagine a normal person reading this article without an unsafe increase in blood pressure: 'The worst day of my life' by Molly Millett of the Pioneer Press.

You may recall the story of the young woman, Naomi Gaines, who attempted to murder her 14 month old twin children by hurling their small bodies to their death off of a very high bridge in St. Paul over the Mississippi River. She then jumped off the bridge herself. She succeeded in killing one of the twins, and the other survived. Ms. Gaines also survived. Here's a picture of the killer [courtesy Pioneer Press]:


When reading the story you almost think you're reading a parody. If this is meant to be a serious article, the level of offensiveness is almost unimaginable. Let's start with an example. Do you know that 2 years after the murder of her child, Ms. Gaines has forgiven herself? Yes, indeed:

Gaines says she has made peace with herself.

"I used to have nightmares when it first happened. It was always something involving water. They were horrible," she says. "I haven't had one in a long time because I've long since forgiven myself for what happened."
By the way, the two children have the improbable names of Sincere Understanding Allah and Supreme Knowledge Allah. Are you joking? What kind of a parent would give these ridiculous names to her children? Apparently only a mother who would attempt to kill them (with a 50% success rate).

Why is the Pioneer Press profiling this piece of garbage? Why is Naomi Gaines getting out of prison in about 10 years? It's unimaginable. It shocks the conscience.

While her child's body rots in the the grave, Naomi "reads, writes and attends groups ranging from contemporary poetry to math skills to a mothers' support group."

If you're not mad yet, read this:

"I remember I was looking out the window of the county jail when I realized, 'He's dead; my son is dead,' " she says. "And I just cried. I cried for hours. I thought, 'I hope he doesn't think I don't love him.' "

She cried for hours. Hours. It was the worst day of her life.

And she hopes her son doesn't think she doesn't love him. Murder is love, apparently.

Please contact the Pioneer Press and let them know in no uncertain terms that this article is unconscionable, if not immoral. This killer should never, never be heard from again. Shame on the Pioneer Press for stooping to Red Star lows.