Friday, September 22, 2006

Quagmire Update: Violence For Thrill And Entertainment

"I find it to be evidence of a disturbing trend among those I fear are students: using violence for thrill and entertainment."

What sickness has descended upon Minneapolis, and by extension the University of Minnesota? It used to be you could walk around most of the city without fear of being beaten, robbed, raped, or killed.

Now you can't even walk on the campus of our state's largest university without fear of attack.

H/T to Rambix reader A. Karl K. for alerting me to this article from the Minnesota Daily. This particular story had a happy ending, but it could have gone south in a hurry. If nothing else, it should be a wake-up call.

At 3 a.m. Saturday, two men attempted to attack and rob a friend and me near the corner of 14th Avenue Southeast and Talmage as we walked the block from his home to mine. I have decided to submit what follows to the Daily, because I believe it will benefit people to understand the nature of these attacks, as well as because I find it to be evidence of a disturbing trend among those I fear are students: using violence for thrill and entertainment.
The article is worth reading. This could be your friend or daughter.

The author and her friend escaped physically unscathed, but her sense of security is compromised.

Welcome to the Quagmire.